Childs Ercall Village History
Welcome to the part of the website that lets us look at the village in times gone by.
Hopefully in time and with the material collected from local people, the history will become even more interesting.
We have made a good start with contributions so far, but anyone interested in contributing, information, anecdotes, stories, and photos are welcome to email us. Helping to bring the history to life.
Pre-historic stone implements found in Ercall Wood indicate that the settlement has been in existence from before the Bronze Age. By the 9th century the land was laid waste probably by the Danes, due to its poor defence qualities of flat land.
Domesday records in 1086, show there was only a small settlement of twenty three farm workers and their families together with a "Frenchman" and a priest.
The Church of St Michael: - The first stone Church was built at this time replacing the timber structure thought to have been destroyed by the Danes. The dedication of the Church to St Michael is an indication that the Church was originally founded by the Celtic Church. It is possible that a Mercian settlement of Celtic monks reached Ercall between 788 and 803.
The first stone Church was a simple rectangular building. One semicircular window still remains in the east end of the north aisle. Later at the beginning of the 13 th century aisles were added.
|Childs Ercall ! yes it is a strange name for a village. The name is derived from a Celtic word for "Holly Thicket" (ar-celen) or it has also been suggested from the word "arllechwedd" meaning (place on the slope)At the dissolution of the monasteries in 1539, King Henry VIII confiscated all monastic properties and sold or exchanged them. By the end of the eighteenth Century the estate had passed into ownership of the Corbet Family. The Corbets had been major land owners since the Conquest. The Corbets would appear to have lived at Ercall throughout the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.|| |
|In 1835 maps show that the land was reclaimed by small tenant cottagers and farmers. A thousand acres in the Manors of Childs Ercall and Howle were privately enclosed in 1801. After enclosure the Corbet Family began a programme of improvements following the pattern of the revolution in farming taking place during the mid to late nineteenth century. New cottages were built for tenants and farm workers. Together with a village hall and Church School. The farming revolution saw the birth of farmstead buildings throughout the County. Building work continued after the Second World War with the construction of Council houses to accommodate the rural workforce. More recently the character of the village began to change with people now working in the surrounding County Towns.|
TO BE CONTINUED..................................................................................................